Wednesday, February 11, 2009



GONG XI FAI CHAI!


Steven's school teacher participates with a Karate team. The second day of the Chinese New Year, they performed at a Chinese Restaurant with the Lion Dance scaring away the evil spirits and ushering in good luck for the New Year! The performance was FANTASTIC! His teacher was the front of the lion and did quite a nice job! (In Malaysia, the restaurant owners would be condemning their restaurant to a year of bad luck and poverty for working on the second day of Chinese New Year! I guess you can see how culture blending occurs. In the US, imagine the money they would miss if they were closed for Chinese new year! Their restaurant was packed with a line waiting to be seated.) After the lion dance, we were treated to a firecracker strand 10 feet long! BOOM that was loud!

1 comment:

Cynthia's Blog said...

I really could kick myself that I didn't smuggle in those big huge incense joss sticks they had in Malaysia. You know the ones that were 2 feet in diameter? Our neighbors wouldn't know what to think.