Monday, January 25, 2010

David had an English assignment to write a 500 word paper about how he was affected by violence. The alternate option was to write a poem. He fretted over this assignment for weeks! No matter how much advice or encouragement I gave him, he could not get going. So, after fretting for weeks, here is the finished product. He swears he spent only one hour composing and writing the poem!
Violence
Violence is very bad
But in my life I have not had
Too big a problem
(I always solve 'em)
But still I am affected.
Violence affects me
When I see
A fight in the hallway.
"Break it up!" the teachers say
With all the students in their way
It's like a Roman Coliseum
Where there's a fight, they go to see 'em.
Youth Violence is even worse
It grows and grows like prickly gorse.
"Why so bad?" some may say
Why? Because it boils ans steams until it bursts
It comes on out in fiery spurts.
They hurt their enemies,
They hurt their friends,
But worst of all, they hurt themselves.
They close the doors of promising future,
They open the doors of hate and pain.
"How does this happen?" We ask ourselves.
The answer may be lurking in your shelves,
It's in your books; it's in our games.
It may even be in you!
Every time you laugh and sneer,
Every time you laugh and jeer,
You hurt a future, you cause a tear.
All those games your son may play
Could be the cause of his detention today
He likes Grand Theft Auto, and what does that teach?
How to shoot, kill, and steal, that's what it will preach.
The friends he hangs with, the books that he reads
Teaches your son all about what he thinks he needs.
Teach him the truth, what he will gain:
A truckload of trouble, grief, and pain.
What can you do about youth violence?
When was the last time you were nice?
Read a kid a book, got your mom some ice?
Every little act shows that you care,
It shows that you are happy, it shows that you are there.
So do a good deed,
Help someone in need,
End violence today,
Because everything you do and say
Can lead to happiness or strife,
It can heal a life.
On this note I end,
And hope a message to send:
Violence is cruel
Not happy or cool.
Dave and I think it is AWESOME!! What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Love it. I surly could'nt think of those things. He has a talent with words and such. Marilyn

Mary said...

Fabulous job! I'm sure there is some contest scholarship out there he could win for that one.

Cynthia's Blog said...

truly inspired!