Monday, November 3, 2008

St Thomas
I awoke this morning early to get in a workout before beiginning our day of adventure in St Thomas. While I was running on the treadmill, the ship was coming into port. It was amazing to see how this HUGE ship could navigate into the port with seemingly ease. While I watched on deck, I was mezmerized with the beauty of this tropical island! The landscape was covered with GREEN mountains! Alas, I had to ensure the kids were awake and ready for breakfast so I left the deck.

After a traditional breakfast for our kids of omelets, fruit, doughnuts, bacon and juice, we were off to our snorkeling excursion! We boarded the Dancing Dolphin catamaran and headed to Turtle Cove. I could not believe how clear the water was even at this port. I could see clear to the bottom of the ocean floor. I have not seen water that clear in a port since being at Manukan Island in Sabah, Malaysia. After a very short 15 minute boat ride we anchored off a small island, at turtle cove. While on the boat deck preparing for our snorkel trip, we saw at least 3 turtles surface. Steven was a bit apprehensive to snorkel. His fear of sharks dominates his desire to see fish or turles close up! However, Dave was able to convince him to at least try. Having a mask that fit securely, and being a few years older than our last snorkel trip helped as well. Our guide was fantastic! She was able to tell us a bit about some of the creatures we found. One cue she gave us was to stay perfectly calm if a turtle swims near. Most likely, it is sufacing for air. She assured us that if we stayed calm, the turtle may even surface nearby. Indeed, this happened to us. At one point, the turtle was so close to me that I was unable to take its photo! Here are a few images of what we saw while snorkeling! Do you see the sea turtle blending into its environment? Also, there is some fan coral, and a sea urchin.













Below is brain coral, some yellow finned snapper among tropical fish, and a Carribean Barracuda.














Below Jessica is holding a sea star. Also photo of a sting ray.








The following photos depict some crazy creatures that were also seen at sea! These may seem familiar to you though!














We had a fabulous excursion!!!! I always enjoy snorkeling. I find it very relaxing.

After enjoying lunch on the ship, the kids scurried off to their various onboard activities. Dave and I spent a little time shopping in the cute, tourist trap shopping area. If we had moer time, we would have rented a car and explored the island. However, we did not even go beyond 1 mile from the ship.

After dinner, we attended a Wii bowling tournament. Do I have to tell you how miserable we did? I had to be taught by my children on the proper way to bowl with the Wii controller! Oh well, we had fun!!! After our bowling match, Jessica, David and Kierstin went to their age events. Dave, Steven and I attended a show in the theatre. It was a tribute to Broadway. The actors were amazing but, I must admit, both Steven and I managed to take a nap during the show. Dave snuck out early, yup, to join Jessica for surfing under the stars!


All week long, Dave has been talking to the kids about the midnight buffet! David, Kierstin and Jessica, were psyched to attend. Tonight was the night....poor Dave could not convince anyone to go with him. All the kids decided that sleep was much more important! So...of course, I went with Dave. After all, who wants to eat by themself? I was pleased to see some chips, guacamole, and salsa!

The kids and I have kept on eye on the different fruit creatures throughout the week. This evenings were the best yet. I had to take photos since they were sound asleep!

No comments: