
Have you ever seen
dragon fruit? If not, here is a photo taken by me, the amateur. The skin looks fluorescent red with green
leaf like scales protruding from the skin. I first saw this fruit at a local wet market in
Penang Malaysia. I was immediately impressed with the color, and design. With my new fruit home, I was eager to slice into the firm flesh. I was surprised to see the knife reveal what looked like a white kiwi inside! I poked at the seeds to make sure nothing was moldy. All seemed fine so, I took a bite of this beautiful fruit to discover that it has almost no flavor at all! I was so disappointed! Such a beautiful fruit to have such a bland flavor. I soon learned that the local variety of
dragon fruit has beet red flesh and black seeds. To my delight, it also has slightly more flavor. Although this does not rank up there with fresh pineapple, and
mangostein for flavor, it is refreshing when served cold on a hot afternoon!
OK so I said the fruit looked beautiful. That does not mean its fruit tastes delicious. I guess the cliche, you can't judge a book by its cover really is true!!!
Therefore, if you ever see a drink advertised as a
dragon fruit flavor, beware......there really isn't any flavor. Of course that is my opinion.
Kierstin and I were shopping at our local grocery store and were ecstatic to see
dragon fruit for sale! What it lacks in flavor, it makes up for in memories! Our family enjoyed eating some with dinner a few nights ago. I must say, I think Steven devoured half the fruit himself!
1 comment:
Maybe you got a bad one? I put a link up at my blog to yours. Remember, when you send out your blog address to leave off the @ and use a dot. between your name and blogspot, Or people might not find you.
Welcome to blogger!
Post a Comment